Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just Like That!

Okay, I've been running this conversation through my head all day long and I'm seriously baffled by it's outcome. So there I am, running into the commissary (a grocery store, to my non-military friends) and I run into a parent from one of my previous students. I, for some reason, always run into this Mom when I'm getting groceries and it's the craziest thing but we always stop and chat for a few minutes and catch up. Well, she goes on to tell me she's just so excited that they're moving back to Ohio this coming Saturday. I'm immediately confused because being that her son was in my class last year I know for a fact that they weren't due to PCS (or move) for at least a few more years, but hey-anything is possible, so I ask her why they are leaving so quickly. Much to my surprise she casually responds, "Oh, me and (we'll call him Mike) are splitting up".

Seriously.

JUST LIKE THAT!

I try not to let my wide open mouth and confused expression give away any judgement that I have towards her. Then, with a quick shoulder shrug she said, "Well, he's never around so we just grew apart!" Again, not judging at all, but this woman has FOUR KIDS and one is under the age of FIVE. Good Grief. So, we wrapped it up and said our good-byes and went about our shopping.

JUST LIKE THAT!

So, why am I telling you? I guess because I am a strong believer in always working on things in my personal relationships. The few people I hold close to me are way too important to let go. In regards to my marriage, there ain't no way I would let anything get in between my family. What we have is permanent and nothing could change that. Sure-deployments and TDY's suck. They suck bad. But I knew this going into my marriage and when I stood up on that alter I made a vow that I would always be there and I meant it.

God bless this woman and her four kiddos. I'm not here to judge so I wish her nothing but the best. I've just been thinking so much about her casual attitude towards this and I guess on some level it may just be a front to hide emotions that she doesn't want to share with me and there is waaay more to this "split" than I know about, so I'll let it be.

1 comment:

Adam and Beth said...

I agree, God Bless the family & those children for what they are going through!