...on her 8 month birthday (well, almost...)! So, due to our sudden move and pain in the neck tricare we were a tad late on Ava's 6 mos wellness check up. Thankfully we found a pedi that accepts tricare, which I'll have you know isn't easy to do when there's not a military installation within a 20 mile radius. A few doctor's offices said, "tri-what"..."tri-who"... Nice. Anyway, we're all good to go, finally!
Weight: 18 lbs 5 oz (59%)
Height: 27.3 in (64%)
Head: 18.2 in (97%)
Ava still has no teeth and my research shows me that I should start offering Ava "finger foods", as in cheerios, super soft small cubes of veggies and fruit...that kinda goodness. Seriously? Is she seriously ready for that? HELP!!!!! Mommies out there, when did you start spreading food on the tray? I'm still working on stage two purees and now all of the sudden she gets "real" food?
Also on my mind is this. As of the past few weeks, Ava likes to hold her head off to the side a bit. It's not all the time, mostly when she's in her booster seat or on the couch, but again, not all the time. I casually mention this to the pedi and she has me going to an Ophthalmologist at CHOP. Ava wasn't even doing it when we were in the office so that kinda made me worried, too. Ughhhhh. Yes, I'm kinda freaking out about it. This leads to unnecessary googling of Ava's "symptoms" which brings us to the oh so fun PANIC of what it might be. I've worked my self into a tizzy over this so I'm hoping it's just something small, like she prefers to sleep that way so maybe it's affecting her muscles? (ps: Jody...any advice?)
Other than that, she's perfection. Shots were blast, as always! :)
I'm off to tackle the monstrous pile of laundry that is taking over my bedroom and get some much avoided chores out of the way.
Is it Friday yet?

3 comments:
I was slow with the finger foods, too. But the Gerber puffs are the best because they are crunchy enough to chew but disolve pretty quickly (the yogurt melts are good, too but M didn't like them). I used to give maddie little snacks one at a time but I know that I was being over-cautious after our "choking incident" with the club cracker. Do what you feel is best and you can't go wrong...unless you give her an entire club cracker and she decides to stick in down her throat (which, by the way, i was apprehensive about giving to her so I should have followed my gut!) :-)
I had read about finger foods too...and we're without teeth as well. :-) I've attempted a few bits of mushy banana, and Cameron was sooo NOT impressed. I'm apprehensive about cheerios. Maybe in the next month, but we're good with a variety of purees.
Now, noone better than me knows what you're going through with freaking out! I learned the hard way to NEVER Google anything. :-) Seriously!! You've most likely worked yourself up over nothing. Cameron went through (and still does on occasion) a stage where he would flap his right arm up and down while taking his bottle. The pediatrician calmly said, "uhh, Mrs. Magreevy, there isn't an 'arm flapping' disease out there. Relax. He's working his muscles." :-) Just go to the next appointment and they'll tell you she's perfectly fine. And you, like me, will have gotten worked up over nothing. :-)
Wow, just got caught up. I would worry about finger foods too, especially without teeth (which we have almost 2 of - CRAZY), but I'm not anywhere close to that yet so in another month, I'll be turning to you with the "what did you do" questions :)
As far as her head/ neck. Not sure if it is the same because I haven't seen her, but yes, if she sleeps one way or prefers to look one way they can get tight muscles. We saw an OT for a while (very unnecessary, but very comforting to a worried Mommy) and got some ideas:
- Get her attention to the other side whenever you can (during feeds, play, etc)
- Lay her in her crib with her head at the opposite end of your "norm" No kidding, Maddy switches directions off an on.
- You can also give her neck stretches. Now, this may be a lot harder with the will power these kiddos show as they get older! Just stretch side to side during diaper changes. We were told to do with head turns (look right, look left) and then with tilts (right and left).
Okay, after saying all that (hopefully it makes a little sense), I will follow with I'm sure Ava is totally fine and just trying to pull one over on you! Madelyn was/ is fine and there was no "not all the time" about our situation.
Glad you are enjoying PA. We are excitedly headed "home" in 2 weeks to meet all of the family and spend a glorious month vacation! This working in the school definitely has its benefits!!
Post a Comment