
Okay, so we've had our training potty for about 2 months now and up until last week it's mostly been used to sit on (fully clothed) and to just kind of get used to for a while. I did some reading on looking for the signs to know if Ava was ready to be potty trained and seeing how she met most of the requirements, we decided to slowly go onto the next step. She's been waking up with dry diapers for about 3 weeks now, she always lets us know when she's taking care of business, and she never likes to hang out in her diaper when it's dirty. What we started doing this weekend was just putting Ava on the potty whenever we were changing her diaper or around bath time when she was "naked!!!!!", as she loves to scream once she's in her "birthday suit". Well, low and behold, on Monday morning I sat her little tushy on the potty and she started to tinkle!!! Haha, "tinkle". She was a bit shocked when it happened, as were Curt and I. We weren't even paying attention, we just heard it from across the room! She, of course, stuck her hand right in it, purely out of curiosity. We cheered like crazy people, or, at least I'm sure that's what Ava thought. Now, she's only done it that one time and we keep going about our routine with potty. We have lots of books on hand and she sometimes can sit there for about 10 minutes. I keep reminding her, "Ava- do you have to go peepee?", so we're not sitting there for an hour and she forgets what in the heck she's trying to do. I'm all about slow and steady here, friends. The less accidents we have, the better. I know accidents will be inevitable but I'm not trying to get this done in a week, as some books suggest you can. We're just really proud of Ava and excited that she's being such a big girl about the potty!

In the midst of all this potty business we had a really laid back Labor Day weekend. Curt went into work for 2/3rd's of it so when he was home, we just kind of took it easy. Rest assured their squadron did have the weekend off, he just had some things to catch up on. We attempted to sleep in and in some ways, we were successful. Ava woke up around 7:30, which is great considering most days she's up around 6:45. We've upped her bedtime to 8pm, thankfully, now that summer is on it's way out. No more of this 8:45 business. Momma needs her alone time!
Ava is still doing better with her eating habits. She's obsessed with grapes, pizza, and cheerios right now. We've tried a variety of different pizzas but Ava really only likes pizza from actual pizza places, like Little Caesars. She doesn't like frozen pizza, at all. This is just great news for my waist line! We're still working on different things and hopefully she welcomes bread and pasta into her menu sometime in the future.
We're trying a new toddler reading group tomorrow at the local library that I think Ava will really enjoy. She LOVES books and the good thing about this group is that is for 18-36 month olds, so it's perfect for her to be around children her own age. I hope she likes it! I love having something planned for Ava at least a couple times per week. She's loving her ballet class and we're hoping to get back into playgroup. This summer made it tough for me to participate because as selfish as it was, I can't stand the NC heat. It was just too hot for the two of us to be playing outside when it was 100 degrees outside...and humid! Yuck. The 10 day forecast promises to be in the 80's for our area and I'm practically giddy. Who knew that temps in the 80's would be a good thing?!

Here's a couple funnies that Ava has given us in the past couple days:
-When I was in the shower one morning Ava came into the bathroom and said, "Hey Mommy! What are you doing in there? Taking a shower with soap?" I was speechless. It was, without a doubt, the longest set of words she's ever said to me.
-When we were playing in her toy room I heard an, "Uhoh! Uhoh, Mommy. No drawing on the mirror. Not safe." Ha! So, clearly she drew all over her play mirror and realized after the fact it was a bad idea. The "not safe" part really didn't make much sense, but still funny none the less.
-Finally, Ava has no begun to treat all her dolls as real babies. She likes to tell me to "shhhh!" and puts her finger up to her mouth, when they're taking a "nigh nigh". She lies them down on their bellies and pats their backs, then walks away from them just like I do when I put her in her crib for naps and at night time. She likes to feed them, carry them around, put them in time out, read them stories...the works. What a good Mama!!!!

1 comment:
Nice to catch up (although I see lots of fb too). Ava is beautiful and growing so much. I easily see the teacher in you - as a therapist I too, not only praise the smarty pants, but keep data so had to laugh when you knew how many of each thing she knows!
I can't believe we are approaching TWO! So unreal and great (that we kept em alive right?) ;)
Enjoy all your time home - they are only little once. I went back too early. Need a pt job asap! Unfortunately it is all or nothing right now - ugh! I will definitely be home bound again once baby dos comes along!
You got me totally excited about some classes for Mads. Tried to enroll in a gymnastics but didn't work with my work schedule. Would LOVE a dance class -how fun!
Great watching Ms. Ava grow - and you all too! Thanks! x
Post a Comment