So, let’s start with Curt. He’s off in Vegas and has been for the past 3 weeks or so. He’s training and whatnot but will be home again this coming weekend. Can I get a “Amen”? Ava and I spent the last 2 weeks in PA and we too are headed south come Sunday. I love being near family and someday, we’ll be back permanently. However, I do miss my house, my bed, my stuff...you get the idea. I almost feel like a nomad when we trek back and forth as often as we do. Packing gets old and unpacking, even worse. I’ve been known to have staring contests with unpacked suitcases on my bedroom floor for up to two weeks. I know, I hang my head in shame. Life is good for Curt. He really and truly enjoys what he does and I guess that makes this crazy life we lead all worth it at the end of the day. I will be interesting to see what the future holds for the D family. He seems to think we’re off to Vegas next, maybe in as little as a year, and if that’s the case, I can be happy with that move. We have our closest friends already there, the Yule’s and the Madsen’s, and it will be a short time away from things like Deployments and crazy work schedules. With our FOURTH deployment approaching, this one being the longest, I can honestly say it will be nice to know that Curt will be staying put for a couple years. But, as the military as taught me in the past, it’s never a good idea to get your mind set on something, as it’s more than likely going to change in one way or another. In the meantime, we will get ourselves mentally, physically, and emotionally prepared for the big D coming up in the near future. Here were go, again.
As for me? Well, here’s the latest on the job front. NOTHIN’. That’s right! I’ve done all but stalk prospective schools in the county in the hopes of landing myself a job but due to the wonderful world of job cuts in education, things are looking grim. How did this happen? How did I go from being a well respected, in demand, employable person? HOW? Hmmm, I think my brief hiatus from the classroom is coming back to haunt me. I heard from a few schools that I really need to be a substitute and keep a high profile. To that I say, heck to the NO. I would never put Ava in daycare full time just because I may be working that day. My ability to up and go, like I did when we were living in England, is long since gone. The good news is this: if I don’t find full time work for the coming school year, my Masters degree will finally be completed. I guess all we can do now, is wait.
In less than exciting news I did manage to take a trip to Urgent Care this trip, as we always do when we’re here, and then for an emergency ultrasound. Long story short, I was experiencing some pain and spotting midway through my cycle even though it was physically impossible for me to be pregs. Don’t worry, the docs asked me about a thousand times for they initially thought I was miscarrying. Turns out I had a cyst on my ovary burst and hemorrhage. FUN! I’m relieved with the results, considering the fact that they sent me in looking for “growths or masses” in my baby making regions. Lord, that was a stressful couple of days. I’m very thankful it wasn’t anything too serious.
Moving on...
What’s new with Ava? Well, if you follow me on FaceBook, I do my best to keep the videos posted as often as possible. FB has seriously been a blessing for my family. No matter where we are, Curt and anyone else who hasn’t seen Ava in a while can watch a little clip of her and her madness and feel like they were right there with us. (Kinda.) She’s happy, healthy, energetic, SMART, and constantly on the go. She learned to ride the tricycle my mom and dad gave her while we were here the past couple weeks. She was really unimpressed with the helmut but once she realized that one doesn’t go without the other, she decided this big and clunky hat on her head wasn’t too bad after all. She misses Curt something awful and asks to go “back to Ava’s house” to see him on a daily basis. It’s really heartbreaking. I can’t even imagine what it’s going to be like when he leaves in the fall.
Ava’s also getting ready to be a flower girl for the second time in her Aunt Angela’s wedding to Waaaarrrreen next month. Yes, she still loves Warren, a lot. She’s so stinkin’ shy around him it’s ridiculous. Boy crazy at 2? God help me.
We’re taking the summer off from preschool and she’ll start again in the fall. I’ll keep here there part time even if I’m not working. That small amount of alone time is worth ever cent I spend to keep her there for the morning. She really enjoys it there so that makes me feel good when I drop her off. She still talks about the friends she made, especially the BOYS she likes. (Fo’real?!?).
Here are a few Ava-ism’s we’ve heard over the past couple weeks:
“Hey Poppy, you want to come over here and hang with me?”
“Maggie! You’re being a knucklehead!” (Maggie is our family golden retriever and the word knucklehead is a lovely word she got from my dad. Hey, it could be worse!)
“Where we goin’ today? The mall?” (Oops.)
Me: "Ava, come over to the table so you can eat your lunch."
Ava: "What? What are you sayin?"
"Hey Mommy, where’s my purse?”
Oh, Ava. How you keep me on my toes! She’s still singing and dancing non-stop. She loves way more country and hip-hop tunes than she does Barney or any other age appropriate music, for that matter. I sent Curt a picture of her the other day and his response was, “Does she start college next week?”, as he was blown away by how after not seeing her for 2 weeks she had grown so much. We’re approaching the big “3” and she seems more and more like a teenager with each passing day. I think it’s safe to say she’s growing up too fast and hopefully another Dougherty baby will make it’s way into our family so we can do it all over again from scratch. Ava would be an amazing big sister!!!!
Stay tuned, a pictures post is up next!

1 comment:
I just saw you updated your blog! I had been wondering how you were doing! You just forgot to mention one thing... how's the P90X going?
Glad you guys are well!
Post a Comment