
Curt has something else checked off his work bucket list! He was asked to do the fly-by for the Opening Day Game of the Philadelphia Phillies this past Friday and it was a-a-a-aaaaamazing to see. What’s really special, obviously, is was able to do this on his own home turf. So many friends and family were able to go to the game AND even watch them from their mile-high sky scrapers right there in the heart of the city. It was a really powerful display of patriotism and strength of our nation as I watched him roar by over head. I’m so thankful I was able to watch him do this! If you see my video on Facebook, you can see (read: HEAR!) how excited I was when they flew by. The other mil wives who’s husbands were also in the formation were right there next to me in the stands and we just cheered and screamed the entire time. We were just so proud of our men! What a great day to be a fighter pilot in the mighty F15-E!!!
OH! And how do you like my shirt?!? It’s a Phillies shirt on the front and on the back with the shirts personalized to say ours hubs’ call sign, making me “Mrs. Cooter”. I wear that name proudly! (Although, it did get some interesting looks from some of our neighbors...) ;) I wish I could have worn this shirt all by itself that day but we woke up to SNOW and it was freeeeezing all day long. Oh well, we made sure they were proudly out for all to see during the fly by.
Finally, the amount of random fans and strangers that stopped to shake their hands as we were walking by and took the time to say “Thank You” was just amazing. It really reminds you of the sacrifice that these guys make on a daily basis in order to maintain our freedom. It was really moving every time they got stopped just for a handshake. There was also a young boy who stopped Curt to tell him, "I want to be a fighter pilot someday!”. What a great feeling to have small kids tell you that you already have their dream job! Which is pretty badass, if I do say so myself. Can you blame them? Overall, this was an amazing experience for Curt. After the 7th inning they were taken down to the field and walked across the bull pen with the Philly Phanatic so they could be introduced and shake lots of hands. Such an honor!
Here are a few pictures of our day! I know one of the girls I was with took A LOT of pics with her Nikon so I’m surely going to borrow those when she sends them to me and post them later. (And, PLEASE, if you ever watch any of the MILLION videos I put on FB, please go watch the Fly By!!! It will give you chills!)



2 comments:
How cool! Jeff is going to be so jealous when I tell him! Jeff has always wanted to do a Penn State flyby for one of the football games.
A few weeks ago, we were out to dinner after Jason got off work. He went to pay the bill, and came back with a gobsmacked expression on his face. Another patron of the restaurant had paid for us as a "thank you" for our service. That has never happened to us before! We got lots of handshakes and whatnot (it still surprises me, after all these years, when someone thanks ME for being a military spouse!!) but no one has ever paid for our meal. It still makes me smile thinking about it, and knowing there are still patriotic and civalrous individuals left. Probably also helps I live in Oklahoma, just about the most Republican and pro-military state in the country. :)
Post a Comment