Saturday, November 14, 2009

Welcome Back, Me!!!!!

Ooookay, I think I have a really good excuse for being a bad blogger these past few weeks. Well, I have a few. Here it goes:

-I am “single” parenting Ava here and although I have help from the family, I’m still wrapped up in all things baby for about 90% of the day.

-Unlike England, I have bunches of things to do in my free time, ie: Ava’s awake time, so I’m usually trying to free myself from this place whenever possible. Meaning, I have less time to sit on my duff in front of the computer.

-It’s groundhog day. It really is. I don’t want to bore you too much with the details of my daily life....until NOW. Ha!

So what’s new you might ask? Well, lots. Let’s review:

-WE BOUGHT A HOUSE!!!! Here’s some pictures. It’s beautiful. I love, love, LOVE it. Oh man, do I love it. What else do I love? Um, this sweet piece of property would have been TWICE the cost we paid if we bought anything remotely as nice here in the beautiful Chester County. Meaning, we feel like we got a steal of a deal. No one likes to walk away from a big buy and say, “Man, I just got robbed!”. So, we’re feeling pretty blessed to have found such a great house that we, again, LOVE.





-Ava is 13 months. Uhhh, yea. She’s huge and growing more and more each day. Here are her big deal accomplishments. She’s a walking machine. It’s terrifying. All I see is sharp corners and hard surfaces. Thankfully, she lands on her squishy diaper butt 90% of the time. But that other 10%, uh, let’s just say she had her first “goose egg” thanks to her plastic piggy bank that she took a head dive into. It was bad. Bad, Bad, BAD!
She has 10 teeth and 2 more molars on the way. Don’t even ask me about my attempt to brush them. She’s uncooperative, to say the least. She’s got a lot of hair and it’s starting to form something I would classify as the “mullets” cousin. We’re hoping it all evens out, soon.
I think she’s on the cusp of her first word...aside from “Mama”, “Dada”, “Hi”, “Gee-Gee” (Maggie)... She’s very chatty these days...and very loud. Ava is currently obsessed with my Dad, or her Grandpa. She screams when he leaves the room. He loves it. LOVES. She also clearly understands the word “NO!!!” and loves to push her limits when I ask her not to do something. Sneaky little bugger. Is she seriously trying to get a rise out of me, this early?
Ava is like her Dad in so many ways and one that I really could live without is her opposition to trying new FOOD! Seriously, my 13 month old is still eating BABY FOOD. It’s so expensive and I would do just about anything to get her to eat some “big girl” food. Please help. She only eats puffs. THAT IS IT. So frustrating. I’m also having the hardest time getting her on cows whole milk. She refuses that like crazy too. This Mama is sick of washing bottles. The worst part about the baby food is that’s a whole big fight in it self. I usually have to distract her with Barney to distract her into eating at all. Please avoid any and all judgement. I wonder if she would eat at all without the distraction. :( It’s horrible.
On a lighter note, she is sleeping well, learning more and more each day, walking all over the place, interacting with her cousin during play time...and just being awesome at all she does. We are blessed.





-Curt came back to PA for 36 hours for a wedding of a high school friend of ours and we had such a great time, even though it was so short of a trip. We got to spend the night with our favorite friends from high school and then have a brunch with family the following morning. It was perfect. He was gone as soon as he got there, but we’re headed there in about a week to see him so we have tons to look forward to!








-I’m starting to feel pretty sad about my upcoming trip to Vegas and leaving my home. At times it felt like we were so far away from being with Curt again but like all our time spent apart, it feels like it went rather quickly. We were initially going to stay here up until graduation but realized that we could not be away from Curt for yet ANOTHER holiday if it wasn’t mandatory. So, we’ll be roughin’ it in his teeny, tiny hotel room for a couple weeks while he wraps things up at Weapons School. We miss him!!!!

I think that’s good enough for now, don’t you? I’m so distracted because I’m trying to watch TV at the same time and this lil update is taking a bit longer than I had anticipated. With my upcoming trip to Sin City I’m bound to have some more “free time” to blog... I promise.

4 comments:

Angie said...

I just wanted to say that I think you are doing a fantastic job being a single parent! Madison absolutely hated whole milk and still does. Just keep offering her big girl food and eventually she will take it. Some kids like to do things on their own time. I am excited for you, Curt and Ava to be together again. You will absolutely love having your own home.

Anonymous said...

I got a little choked up reading this. Maureen you are an amazing mom,wife and friend!I am so happy you will be enjoying your new home with your family soon!

Carrie said...

We had to slowly mix cow's milk into formula (ex. 1 oz milk, 5 oz formula then 2 oz milk, 4 oz formula... you get my drift) for Maddie. It wasn't because she didn't like it but it upset her tummy. Love, love, love the house! Congrats! (Oh, and I finally made another post to my blog. When I read your last entry I thought you were directing it at me but then I realized that you've been sucking it up at blogging just like I have :-) Wish our girls could play together...

Jennifer Magreevy said...

I slowly mixed in regular milk with formula. You might also try sweetening it up with some juice, might make it more appealing to her. As for regular food...no advice for ya. I'm fortunate that my child pretty much inhales anything I put in front of him. And since he now has 2 teeth (thank goodness!) he can at least crunch on something...but pretty much just gums the rest. I found that if he sees me eating it, he wants it. He loves plain pasta (anything shaped, easy to grab for those little hands) all cooked veggies, any fruits (try those in fruit cups, that way they are still sweetened with juice), and any sort of puff/cereal things. Also crackers. Waffles (ones with fruit in them are a winner), toasted breads...and CHICKEN! Seriously, kid loves chicken. Who would have thought? I've read you should just keep putting the same food down over and over again, and sooner or later she might like it. Good luck!!