Friday, January 21, 2011

A Time For Change


There are so many new things going on in our house these days, I'm not quite sure where to start! I guess the first place would be that Curt and I have decided to wait a bit longer than we had originally planned to have baby #2. This is a bit heartbreaking for us as we were really hoping I would well on my way but as we all know, some times things are just out of our hands. We simply ran out of time and although we could keep trying and have a baby in the midst of a deployment, we decided that waiting would be much more comforting than going about something so big, alone. So, instead of being really sad that I'm not pregnant, I'm happy to say that I'm really excited to be going back to WORK! We decided that since we were planning on enrolling Ava in preschool next year regardless of whether I had a new baby or not and since Curt would be deployed, I should get back into the classroom. It's been about 2 years since I last worked so my certificate is about to expire. Thankfully, the state of North Carolina is more than happy to give me provisional certificate in the mean time. This means I will applying for a NC State license and by taking 6 credits this summer I can get my PA license activated and current again. The credits will also help me get a permanent NC license and go towards my masters degree. Sounds like a plan! I have to update my resume and maybe pick up a few more letters of recommendation for a big job fair that's being held in the beginning of April. I'm really feeling pretty great about going back to work and although I can't wait to grow our family, I think this is a great way to hold us over until we can make that happen. So, what a turn of events, right?

Also big news in our house is that I enrolled Ava in a Montessori School here in town. I've been told by so many people that this school is just wonderful! It's a bit on the pricey side but Curt and I are okay with putting some good money towards Ava's education. So many parents just swear by this type of instruction and after much research and few visits to the school, I think it's going to be great for Ava. We did a quick, informal assessment on what she knows already (think numbers, letters, etc...) and although they think she's ready for the 2.5-3.5 yr old classroom, they weren't sure how she was going to do socially since she's never been in a daycare setting before, which I can understand. However, yesterday while at CRUD practice I let Ava run off with the other kiddos that were there and didn't see her for TWO HOURS. Oh, and when I went to put her coat on when it was time to leave, she kept screaming, "I wanna play with my friends!". Sooo, I'm thinking she's gonna be a-ok with the other kids in her class. :) She is starting in February and will only be going 3 mornings a week for three hours a day. I hope and pray she really enjoys it! It seems a little crazy to send her school now, at only 2, when I'm still home but here's our rationale. This school normally has a WAITING LIST. For preschool. Fo'real? If I put her in the school now and give them a small deposit at the end o the year, they'll hold her spot for the fall. This school also offers early morning and afternoon care, which I will need. I can't put her in the school that requires a 1pm pick up when I work. This is just a great way to ease her into something that will ultimately become permanent next year when Curt is gone and I'm at work. With some many changes coming in September at least we will know that school is something she will be familiar with and not completely caught off guard. Also, if it's not a good fit, we have time to change it. Plus, gives me a little "me" time in the mornings to get some things done that would otherwise be really complicated with a 2 year old running around! Which brings me to my next update...

I have started a new workout plan! Helllllo, P90X. Let me tell you something, friends. This program is NO JOKE. I'm literally gimping around my house like I was hit with a mac truck. Each workout is about an hour long and although it's intense while you're doing it, it's not too much to handle. The next day, however... That's when you see how tough of a workout it really was and how much your body needed that exercise. I'm happy to say that I've been doing moderate exercise since college and I've never really had a problem with my weight, working out or not. (And, Yes. Hate me. The only exercising I did pre-college was community sports and I could eat whatever I wanted and still be a size 0 and under 100 lbs. Good genetics, I suppose.) But, these days I guess you could say that my luck has RUN OUT. After I finished nursing Ava my body decided that I needed to work out and watch what I eat. LAME. ;) So, here we are with a new workout plan and the determination to get myself in shape by my 30th birthday which is March 5th. Wish me LUCK!

Let's see what's new with Curt. This next year and a half is going to be somewhat hectic as far as his travel schedule is concerned. He's got many TDY's planned before he deploys in the fall. We have a big one coming up in March and then a few random ones here and there. I'm a little anxious about all the changes coming up for our family but we've been here before and I know we can handle it. Curt's also going to find out if he's a Major select in a few weeks which means he will be promoted to Major in about a year. (FYI for my non-military friends. It's pretty much a given that you will be promoted to Major so although we're really proud of him, we're not too worried about it. Still exciting though, moving up in the world!)

I mentioned before that the BIG 3-0 is looming upon me and I have to say, I feel really good about it! I still get carded at bars and for when I buy the occasional lotto ticket (hello, powerball! who can pass up a shot, albeit a "small" shot, at 100 million dollars? not, me...) which you only have to be 18 to buy. So, do I feel 30? No. Do I look 30? I don't think so. I guess what I'm saying is although this is meant to be a big, monumental birthday, I guess I just see it as another year older and wiser...and happier! My twin sister and I are meeting up with all our closest friends in Atlantic City one weekend in March to celebrate in style. I can't wait! It's going to be a weekend to remember! I've already started scouting the perfect dress for the occassion, but that should come as no surprise. Really, really looking forward to seeing everyone!

Lastly, let's do an Ava catch up. She is doing GREAT! Ava is growing up so quickly, I hardly have time to remember it all and write it down. Here's some highlights!
Just some cute Ava convo for you... When she yawns she follows it with an, "I'm tired!". When she trips and falls she says, "Oopsie Daisy!". When I tell her, "I love you" she says, "I love you too a lot, Mommy.". Hmmm, what else? She asks questions all day LONG! "Where are you going?", "What are you doing?", "Where'd Daddy go?", "Where's my tools?". Ha! I love it when she answers her own questions, too. She follows it with an, "Oh-there is it!". Too funny! She also has turned the table on me with the questions! "What color is this, Mommy?", "What letter is this?".
One of my most favorite things about Ava is her love and dedication to music. She loves to dance, sing, and tumble all over the place. Her cousin AJ bought her a microphone for Christmas and she likes for me to play Carrie Underwood on the itunes so she can sing along. She knows ALL THE WORDS to "Cowboy Casanova" and many, many more. She makes requests for songs while were driving in the car like I'm her DJ. "Mommy! Play Dynamite? Billy (Currington)?...and the list goes on. The more hip hop beat the song has, the more she likes it.
I also just signed Ava up for 6 months of gymnastic classes! (Thanks, Gretchen!) The idea of running and jumping and tumbling around in a padded room is so up Ava's alley, how could I not? She's enrolled in a "Mommy and Me" class because she's not three yet so it looks like I'm going to be joining her. I'm really excited because I know she's going to love it! I'm sure she'd do okay without me there just based on the fact that she's been successful dancing in ballet with a group and her teacher for months now, but rules are rules! Plus, Curt will be able to take her some days and that's a great bonding opportunity for them.
What else is new with Miss Ava? Of course the teacher in me still likes to make learning fun as often as I can! Here's some of her latest accomplishments. She can count up to 20, name opposites, read the names of the people in her family and even tell me what letter their names start with, it's crazy. We play games in the car with the stop lights and she tells me to stop when it's red and go when it's green. We like to name the colors of the cars as we're driving by them. I mean, anything to pass the time while we're driving works for me! She still really enjoys reading books and has quite a few that are her favorites. Her memory is pretty great! I love peeking in her room and seeing her lying on her belly reading a book. Makes this Mama proud, I can't deny it! Her new favorite thing to do is "big girl" puzzles. I have about 6 cardboard puzzles that are 9 pieces and she can dump them out and put them back together all by herself, and fast! There's no outline or set spaces so she has to "problem solve" all by herself. IT'S AWESOME. I'm searching for more but I already bought all the different ones at Target.
She loves emptying the dishwasher, cleaning up her toys, and "helping" fold the laundry. She can't stand the sound that the vacuum cleaner makes and the second it goes on she says, "Don't be scared!". :) She is good at taking off her clothes and putting them in the hamper, taking her shoes off and putting them on by herself, and we've gotten really good at washing our hands with SOAP when using the step stool. I always hear the water running in her bathroom and while it's okay that she wants to wash her hands, it gets quite messy! I try to keep that door closed these days!
She's growing like crazy and she's just about 30 pounds right now. We had quick weigh in when she spiked a fever a few weeks ago so who knows where she's at now. She loves to run around outside playing on her trike, kicking soccer balls, playing hopscotch, and going on a rock hunt. She's all but grown out of her 2T clothes and I'm certainly not going to buy her anything new until the warmer weather hits. She's eating a little bit better lately. Thankfully, Curt and I are happy that she'll pretty much attempt to eat any raw fruit and vegetable we give her. The favorites are grapes, cucumbers, and carrots. She's still opposed to any and all pasta and bread. The doc assures me that we'll have a breakthrough eventually but in the mean time, most things she eats are fortified I shouldn't been too worried. God bless Cheerios. (Of course, I'll still worry. I am her mom, after all.) I'm debating leaving her in school until 1pm so she can eat lunch with her friends. I'm thinking if she sees other kids eating different kinds of food she'll be more willing to try new things! It's worth a shot!
She loves prancing around the house in my high heel shoes and carrying my big ol' purse. It's super cute! We've painted her toe nails and even a week later, it's still super exciting to her when she looks at them. Love it that she's becoming a "girly girl". She's my little shopping buddy and she loves to throw things up on the check out belt when I'm not looking. I've managed to buy A LOT of candy without knowing about it. She just tosses a candy bar up there and before I can see it, it's been bought. Sneaky! Curt still makes sure she gets her rough and tumble time when he plays with her and she has been known to watch a little bit of football with her dad on the couch.
Overall, I really couldn't be happier with the little girl Ava is becoming. She's so bright, she's well behaved, and she has the BEST MANNERS OF ANY TODDLER I'VE EVER MET. You'll never hand something to her without hearing a "Thank you" and you'll always hear a "You're welcome" when you offer her a "thanks, Ava". It's more like a, "Oh! Thank You, Mommy! Thanks!". We live in a world now where Ava remembers it all (which has it's pluses and minuses, ha!) and we can pretty much communicate in a conversation 90% of the time. It's awesome. Girl is growin' up!

I have so many videos of Ava on FB so be sure to check her out! She's my little FB star and I'm proud of it! I love being able to share her daily cuteness with my family when they're so far away!

Well, Friends, that's all I have for now. I wish I had the time and motivation to post weekly so I could tell more stories and although I'm going to try, that's a tough promise to keep! Sorry the updates have been few and far between. We'll see what happens!!!

Here are just a few pictures from the past two months that most have already seen on FB, but just incase here are a couple that I really like!









2 comments:

David and Kate said...

Thanks for the update!

Jennifer Magreevy said...

yeah...its about time you updated, you silly girl. :) And Cameron has started listening to country music too, and he sits in his carseat and bops his head like he's head banging. Its really comical!