January 26th, 2008
Surprising Curt:
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
It was just after the close of a family party at the Dougherty house and just when the last of the guests had gone home, I got to give Curt a belated Christmas present. I kind of led on to the fact that my mom and I had found something at a golf store when we were shopping that we thought he might like...and much to his dismay when he opened the present, there was nothing golf related on the inside. Instead, he was presented with two hats (pink and blue) and the coolest bib ever which said "Jr. Pilot" on the front. It was too perfect and I just couldn't pass it up. He sat there for a couple seconds, stunned...cunfused..trying to decide what in world was going on and finally his sister, Angela said (yelled), "Are you preggers??!!??". He finally came to realize just what I was trying to tell him, and then I'm pretty sure he sat there for the next couple hours trying to take it all in. ;) This unraveled, of course, into many exchanges of hugs, kisses, and tears of joy for everyone who was there...it was amazing and I'm so thankful that I was able to share this with our families in person. A-A-A-mazing.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Telling the Parents:
Tracking back a little bit, I decided to take a pregnancy test at home (although it was a bit earlier than I should have) only because I thought, maybe...just maybe WE could tell our families in person. Well, schedules got filled and Curt and I just didn't find the time to take "the test" together. So, one morning I thought, well what the heck, I'll do it alone and see what happens. So, sure enough that positive result came screaming back at me in a matter of seconds and I felt a tingling feeling throughout my whole body. My legs felt like jelly and my mind was racing. I decided after a couple minutes that I would run down and tell my Mom and Dad so that they could be the ones who documented my breaking of the news to Curt. Their reaction was shocked...overwhelemed...and excited all in one. They are so excited for us, it's wonderful! We like to joke with them that they are officially old...and they are embracing it with open arms. This baby will be so loved, and spoiled by the whole family. All in all, it worked out perfectly.
I hope you enjoy the pictures below that my mom was able to take. You can see how this all came together...so cool.
.jpg)
.jpg)
Oh--and Curt and I had our first ultrasound about a week ago. AGAIN-so amazing! We were able to hear the most wonderful sound of a heartbeat (150 beats per minute!) and see our little baby squirming about like crazy! I am on my way to 13 weeks right now and at our last appointment we got an official due date...October 2nd, 2008. It seems like light years away but we both know that this time will pass very quickly. Curt was in the OB room with me and as soon as we saw that little baby on the screen, there were tears. Lots and lots of tears...feelings of excitement, love, assurance, and comfort. I struggle to find words to describe just how we felt when we were experiencing all these new things and I am realizing that something this big is so hard to put into words. I can safely say that we have literally never been this happy, ever.
So, keep Curt and I in your prayers and I promise--seriously--to keep better updates through my blog, especially as we move through the next couple months. We are doing our best and I am learning that there is more to life than work...and one of those little things I am coming to love is SLEEP! I have never slept this much in my life. My nights are now about 10+ hours long of much needed sleep.
Expect our first "bump" picture in the near future!!!

3 comments:
I am so flipping excited!!!
coh my goodness!! i'm so excited and happy for you guys!!!!!!!! yeah baby!! p.s. try to have the little ony Oct 6th-cause then we can share a b-day! :)
Oh my goodness!!! I'm so excited for you!!!! And I can't believe, after you and I chatting about MY pregnancy that you didn't tell me, silly girl!! We must have found out within days of each other...and ironically (even though I had no ability to hold in this secret) you're due before me! We'll have to go shopping for stuff together!!! I'm so happy for you!!! :-)
Post a Comment