Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!


Wow, two posts in less than a week?!?! Crazy! But, I do have to say that I been off work for the past 2 weeks so that really helps:) So, even though we weren't able to be home with our families for Christmas, we still made sure to celebrate the meaning of Christmas. We are really trying to make a point to get ourselves back into our Faith, and with that being said even though we didn't exchange gifts on Christmas day, I knew that I had everything I really wanted and needed. My hubby was home safe, I have a family that is so supportive of everything we do, and we great friends around us all the time who really understand this crazy life that we lead. Just like last year, my side of the family decided that it really doesn't feel like Christmas until we are all together. So, we will have a faux-Christmas when we get back to the states in a couple weeks. My mom even refuses to take down the decorations, inside and outside of the house. So, although it might look like they are having trouble letting go of Christmas when the rest of the world has moved on, we all know that they are doing it for us...and that's awesome! BUT, on the Dougherty side of the family, Curt's mom ALWAYS makes sure that no matter where we are in this world, she will have presents wrapped and under our tree for us to open on Christmas day. We are really spoiled from both my family and Curt's because they are always looking out for us to make sure that we're happy.
So anyways, on Christmas day Curt and I spent some time with our good friends Pete and Gretchen. Gretchen and I talked for hours, did some Christmas crafts, and watched some holiday movies on their GI-NORMUS movie theater screen while Curt and Pete talked "shop" all night in the kitchen. We followed up with some old fashion Pictionary which ended up being more competitive then any of us has anticipated, but it was all in good fun! :) Gretchen made some delicious Lasagna (as we are all turkey-ed out!) and it was just perfect. We were so thankful to be around good friends for Christmas.



Here is a picture of Curt and I at a Christmas party that a friend of mine threw the weekend before Christmas. First off, it was themed an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party, so that is why we have weird things pinned on our sweaters. We're not THAT festive, I promise! It was such great fun...we had a Dirty Santa gift exchange and we both walked off with some great things. Curt got a set of Golf balls (which is perfect for the man who golfs all year long...) and I got these great earphones for my ipod. Those sweet hats we have on are from the Christmas Crackers Missy had for everyone. I had no idea that Christmas Crackers originated in England---I guess you do learn something new everyday ;)


New Years was also such a great night! The Chapman's graciously opened their home to us and the Wee's for some yummy Mexican food and drinks to start off our countdown to the new year. I attempted to bring Nachos. The key word there was ATTEMPTED b/c while I was ironing Curt's shirt he said he would cook the taco meat for me...and I failed to mention that he needed to put some taco seasoning in it, and because I didn't tell him, it didn't get done. We didn't realize this until we were halfway to their house...so it was too late to fix it! Thankfully Matt and Abi had also ordered some Pizza before we got there so we were all very satisfied by the end of the night.



There was good food, good drinks, and great friends. We finished off our night down the street at their neighborhood pub and it was just perfect. We had a great table in the corner, talked about our goals for the coming year, and rang in 2008 in England! After we left the Pub we walked back up to the Chapman's house and continued our night of just hanging out and having a great time! We had some music playing, more eats and drinks, and it was just perfect....



I really have such a great time hanging out with the Chapman's and the Wee's! I feel like we all have just enough in common to keep the conversation going and that is such a good feeling. I know that with Curt's job you never can tell where we might be moving, but I hope these guys are never too far away.



On more thing, Matt and Abi have a beautiful Golden Lab named Macy and it's just another reminder of how eager we are to get our first dog when we move back to the states. I am desperate to get a Lab or a Retriever but Curt still might need some convincing. Their dog is just so great--well behaved, loving, friendly....hmmm, I think this may have helped me get him on board. Only time will tell!!!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Looks like y'all had tons of fun on New Years! And I love the pics that Tara took of you two, those are amazing :) Just wanted to say hi, and hope you're having a fantastic week!